Friday, November 20, 2009

hy-AM (Armenian) moving forward

Robert Sargsyan has been localizing Firefox into Armenian for a really long time through Narro.
He recently has contacted me to get things rolling since he has translated 98-99% (94% according to compare-locales) of the strings.

It is now my turn to get into the technical details and move it to mercurial. These are the steps that we have taken:
  • Robert ported the strings from 3.5 to 3.6 (Narro allows you to do this)
  • Through Narro's interface I exported the project and downloaded the zip file that it generates
  • I checked out my clone of the Armenian 1.9.2 tree
  • I overwrote my tree with the contents of the zip file
  • I run compare-locales like this:
    compare-locales /Users/armenzg/moz/repos/mozilla-1.9.2/browser/locales/l10n.ini .. hy-AM-1.9.2
  • I removed the files that were indicated to be removed
  • I pushed my changes to my repository
What comes next (if I am not mistaken)?
  • generate a langpack
  • submit it to AMO (submit page)
  • promote the add-on
  • get people's review
  • convince drivers to give us commit access
  • push the changes to the official Mozilla hy-AM repositories
We won't make it for 3.6 and I can't wait to see what the future holds for this language.

Big thanks to Serge!



Creative Commons License
This work by Zambrano Gasparnian, Armen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.