In this blog post I will explain how to install a nightly deb file on your Nokia N810 (To install a nightly on Linux, Mac or Windows you can install the Fennec desktop builds - blog post to come)
The first two steps are to avoid you having to use XTerminal from your device. NOTE: You might be prompted to install
- Search on the Web app for "openssh maemo" or follow this link to go directly and install OpenSSH Client And Server v4.7p1-12.maemo2.
- You might be prompted to change the password of your "root" user. It didn't happen to me. I might have had openssh installed from before I loaned it.
- Search on the Web app for "homeip maemo" or follow this link to go directly and install HomeIP V0.9.1-2
- You have to add it to your N810's desktop by enabling it. On your desktop tap on "Home->Select applets...->HomeIP". You should now see your IP on your desktop. You are going to need this to connect to your device with SSH
- Make sure that your computer and your Nokia device are in the same wireless network and SSH to it by typing this:
and type the password for your root account. You should now be connected.
- If you don't know your password you can type "root" on your X Terminal and will grant you root privileges without a password. Read more in the "Root access" page by maemo.org
- Visit this link: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mobile-1.9.2/?C=M;O=D (sorted by latest modified)
- You want to wget the latest deb files for XulRunner and Fennec (only en-US for now). For today's blog post are:
- Now install first Xulrunner and then Fennec by typing this:
- dpkg -i xulrunner_1.9.2b1pre-20091002010458_armel.deb
- dpkg -i fennec_1.0b4_armel.deb
- Now every time you want to open Fennec you can go to X Terminal and type: "fennec" which should do. You can check that it is there by typing "which fennec"
I hope this helps you since I didn't get to find any instructions for doing this but through instructions on IRC
This work by Zambrano Gasparnian, Armen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.