Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Feedback wanted - Mozilla's Release Engineering presentation at FSOSS: draft 1

On October 29th I will be presenting at FSOSS in Toronto talking about Release Engineering at Mozilla through buildbot.

This is the first time that I am putting together a presentation of this scale and I have found preparing the right content for a presentation a difficult task. That is why I want to do it in the open to get feedback early and help me prepare something that is educative and worth the time of others.

The people attending the session will be of various sectors and not necessarily familiar to the functions of a release engineering team.

Link to draft.

Presentation's goals
My goals are the following:
  • Explain in a progressive manner how our infrastructure help developers know if their changes are good
  • Explain how our automation has grown and understand how much we have been able to do thanks to buildbot
  • Explain the release process which is made of different teams joining forces to create a product that is delived to final users
Currently I have started to develop the first two goals as I would rather have two parts very well developed rather than three incomplete parts.

What do you think? Shall I give more emphasis to the third point? What do you think would be more interesting for people to learn from Release Engineering?

Structure of the presentation
You can look at the whole slide or look at this brief bullet point explaining the structure of the presentation.
  • Brief introduction
  • Cycle of a push
  • Builds and results
  • Scaling
  • Release process
  • Buildbot
  • Q&A
  • Wrap-up
I am tackling this project as an iterative process and allowing room for cutting scope without damaging the overall quality. I will provide full sources once done and provide all the images and diagrams for re-use.

Creative Commons License
This work by Zambrano Gasparnian, Armen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.