Thursday, January 10, 2008

This is the beginning of the DPS911 course and I am getting ready for the project I will be working on.
NOTE: Not everything on this document will be specifically related to my project
NOTE2: Starting from a clean Ubuntu 7.1 (gutsy) installation

The public link to this document is http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dnkkbhp_76djjbwv8m

Sess1 - Getting Xchat build

I build from source code since it allows to download for Windows and Feedora (maybe it could work for Ubuntu but I want to be ready to build other things)
  • Extract the source code to /tmp
  • Inside x-chat folder run:
    ./configure
  • But got this error: configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

  • Since I will build firefox and/or other things in this CLEAN Ubuntu Installation I do this:
    sudo apt-get build-dep firefox
    ./configure (the same problem)
  • Tried this (read from here ):
    sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
    ./configure (now the problem is "GLIB - version >= 2.0.3... no")
  • After a little research finding thins in the "synaptic Package Manager" (which is cheating for others). I saw few libglib style packages so I tried this:
    sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
    ./configure (it ends by saying " 'make' and pray)
  • The praying did't work so I tried to go back to xchat.org since I know Anthony Hughes was running Ubuntu and Xchat, therefore, it shouldn't be so complicated
  • I don't download the Fedora build but I try to go to their SourcForge.net site, I download their 2.8.2, extract it to /tmp and try to run by doing this:
    xchat
    and it replies with: "The program 'xchat' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install xchat" which I try:
  • sudo apt-get install xchat
  • Now we can see packages like: tcl8.4 xchat xchat-common
  • I type "whereis xchat" which shows me the different place it now exists

  • Now add an icon to the panel above
  • Add a "Mozilla" network, edit the server to be "irc.mozilla.org/6697", select Use SSL and accept invalid certificates. Now for the #seneca channel you need to set your nick with NickServ

Running and working!

Sess2 -


No comments:

Post a Comment