You can read more regarding what Clif Kussmaul has accomplished by checking out the list of position statements. Once again you can either watch the video or read the notes below.
This video is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License
NOTE: the video does not show up on the planet, follow this link to see all video interviews
What's the big picture opportunity in connecting education and open source?
- students get to see bigger projects and more realistic projects sooner
- they don't have to wait until a capstone project which most of the times get thrown away
- early in their curriculum they can write small things that can benefit a bigger project
- they get involved students with open-source in two courses: the software engineering course and the capstone course
- in the software engineering course, students have to use open source tools, make small additions, fixing bugs
- some students end up using other projects to leverage and simplify problems
- half of the students in the capstone course end up taking on an open-source project
- get started people in small ways
- a browser can sound a really complicated thing for people
- plugins can be easily written and don't sound so intimidating
NOTE: Modified to add license note