You can either watch the interview or read his answers.
This video is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License
NOTE: the video does not show up on the planet, follow this link to see all video interviews
What's the big picture opportunity in connecting education and open source?
- he believes that is very possible
- open-source has spread to more than just in software development; examples of this are: wikipedia, open-source science, open-source politics...
- if open-source has broaden, it will eventually become part of the Computer Science in academia
- they have several projects in Humanitarian FOSS
- they are involved with Sahana, an open-source disaster management system
- they wrote a module to help coordinate volunteers
- this system is being used in New York city
- in China, the module has been tried to be internationalised
- another projects are being done for Google Andriod
- Ralph believes that Android is going to revolutionize the hand-held field
- the project connects with the Sahana project to recognize victims of a disaster
- Ralph taught a FOSS101 class for non CS major students
- Students loved the Mozilla project and how it is important for the big software development ecosystem
- even students that are not computer science majors can get involved into the Mozilla project
- if students can say to other students that they are contributing to a product that they use might help other students to gain interest in computer science
NOTE: Modified to add license note